Tuesday, 12 January 2010
Neighbourhood watch!
I have written before in the blog about how all our neighbours here have made us feel so welcome - and Alan and Sonia even inviting us to their wedding. This week I have had cause to reflect again on the nature of neighbourliness. Knowing I am here alone, and in this arctic weather, they have obviously been keeping a discrete eye on me! On Friday evening, Alan came round to check I was alright and that I was managing to get enough logs and keep the stove alight. On Sunday, Dilwyn, our neighbour on the other side, having failed to get a reply to his knock in the morning (I was still snuggled under the duvet and didn't hear him), rang Ian to voice concern that he hadn't seen me for several days and my car hadn't moved. (Actually, I'd been out everyday, but obviously not when he was watching!) Nina rang me to check, and again I didn't hear because I was snuggling. So poor Ian decided he'd better just ride round to make sure I hadn't succumbed to wood smoke, or slipped and broken a leg up the garden!! And there was I, snug and warm and safe, and feeling quite pleased with how I was managing on my own. I was quite overwhelmed with this level of concern. It is not something I'm used to - sorry Linton neighbours. It's quite humbling to realise how much other folks are looking out for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment