Actually getting my hands on my pension(s) was a saga in itself – so many forms to fill in and proofs of name and age to supply, including a solicitor’s endorsement of my birth and marriage certificates. But in the end they agreed to pay me, thank goodness!
I also had an unexpected windfall pension from the West Midlands Local Government Pension Fund, from the days when I worked at Walsall Library, back in the 1970’s. When I left there, I withdrew (I thought) all my superann contributions (used to refit the kitchen in our first house!) but apparently “they” always keep some money back and now they were offering me a pension – the princely sum of £16 a year! I wrote back and politely asked if I might have the money as a lump sum Trivial Payment, but the request was refused! So every year on 25 March, when the pension is paid, we shall raise a glass to the idiocy of bureaucracy – or at least for as long as £16 will buy us a drink!
In the middle of February, we went back to Linton for a week to prepare the house for the market. It was a busy time, hardly a holiday, dealing with agents and HIPS inspectors, as well as spring cleaning and de-cluttering the house. We also fitted in dental appointments and eye tests. The house was finally launched onto an unsuspecting market on 1 March. So far no news.
But we managed to squeeze in some time with friends too. I went to my Kaleidoscope Craft Club and got a very warm welcome. And I also met up with my friend Lynne for the first time in three years. We met for coffee at 11 am, talked through lunch and finally parted at 3.30 pm! It was great to catch up after all this time and we’ve promised not to leave it so long before we do it again.
Easter has just come and gone in a blur. We had a duvet weekend. It was the first time we’ve really STOPPED since we bought this house over twelve months ago, and we hadn’t realised how tired we were, especially having battled through such a long cold winter with minimal comforts. We’re now looking forward to warmer weather when we can turn our attention outdoors again and begin to make full use of the garden and the greenhouses.
It’s officially Spring now so it should be getting warmer, but some days it just doesn’t feel like it! However, the evenings are lighter, the trees and shrubs are showing a green haze promising new leaves, and the pond is full (and I do mean FULL!) of frog spawn, so maybe balmy days are just around the corner.
No comments:
Post a Comment