Wednesday, 19 May 2010

Growing things


After that unexpected cold wet snap, Spring has returned to the valley. We’ve been working out in the garden enjoying the warmth and sunshine. David has put up my permanent washing line – it looks like telegraph cables running up the garden. Dilwyn (our neighbour) asked when the cable car was arriving! Now there’s an idea …

We’ve also been busy clearing two beds ready for planting. These are the beds I freed from brambles last year. Now we’ve gone over them again digging deep to remove the stubborn roots. It’s left us a very good tilth for planting. The larger of the two is the first of our vegetable plots and I’ve now got red cabbage, Savoy cabbage and sprouts planted out. Broccoli, French and runner beans are waiting to go in. I’ve allowed myself one small bed for flowers so far, to nurture the self sets and divided perennials I brought from Linton last year. They have survived in pots through this harsh winter, so I think they deserve it!


In the smaller greenhouse we have logs drying under the bench and on the bench I have a tray containing tomatoes and peppers waiting to go into grow bags, plus a courgette and an aubergine (we love our ratatouille!) and a cucumber. There are more self sets weeded from the gravel garden at Linton, receiving some TLC before being planted out. My mixed salad leaves are growing well and there’s even a pot of melon seeds (from one we ate) which I was very excited to see have germinated! I’m really enjoying getting back to growing things!

No comments: